Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1. Trim ends of zucchini; place in a steamer basket. In a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; add basket. Cover and steam for 5 minutes. When zucchini is cool enough to handle, cut in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Set pulp aside.
- 2. In a bowl, beat the egg; add spinach, bread crumbs, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and zucchini pulp. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- 3. Place in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Top each with tomatoes and Swiss cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
1 each: 148 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 429mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Sep 2, 2014
DELISH!!!! My husband and 17 year old raved about it too!! I broiled mine at the very end for a few minutes; and the left overs were even better the next night. Absolutely delish!!!
Aug 19, 2013
My family liked this. Very tasty. Couldn't really taste the spinach. The zucchini boats themselves were a bit crunchy. Were they supposed to be fully cooked? I liked them that way.
Jul 15, 2012
Jun 20, 2012
My husband and I loved this recipe. I'm not a bug zucchini person but this was so flavorful you couldn't even taste the zucchini!