Stuffed Turkey Spirals
To create these impressive appetizers, Renee Aupperle of Litiz, Pennsylvania rolls up turkey breast halves with ham and cheese, bakes and slices them, then serves them with a creamy basil sauce. "They're great for a buffet because you can prepare them ahead and bake them right before serving," she notes.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
Makesabout 30 servings
- 2 boneless skinless turkey breast halves (1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- BASIL SAUCE:
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut each turkey breast horizontally from the long side to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Open flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten into 12x10-in. rectangles.
- Remove plastic; top each with 1 teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon basil. Layer with ham and cheese to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie with kitchen string. Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper and remaining oil and basil; spoon some over turkey.
- Bake at 325° for 75-90 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°; basting occasionally with remaining oil mixture.
- In a blender, combine the sauce ingredients; cover and process until blended. Cool turkey for 5 minutes before slicing; serve with basil sauce.