Stuffed Tomatoes with Chorizo and Cornbread
Vine-ripened tomatoes filled with sausage and corn bread taste out of this world. They’re terrific as a first course or partnered with grilled meat or shrimp. —Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 ounces uncooked chorizo or bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet orange or red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk.
- Place oil in an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; heat skillet in a 450° oven for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, stir egg mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Carefully swirl the oil in the skillet to coat the sides and bottom of pan; add batter. Bake at 450° for 12-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Place cornbread into a food processor; cover and process until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- Cut a 1/4-in. slice off the top of each tomato; with a spoon or melon baller, hollow out each tomato, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Discard pulp. Sprinkle salt into each tomato; place upside down on paper towel for 10 minutes to drain.
- Crumble chorizo into a large skillet; add onion and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until meat is fully cooked; drain. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornbread crumbs, chorizo mixture, cilantro and cumin; stir in eggs. Place tomatoes in an greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spoon cornbread mixture into each tomato, mounding in the center.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed tomato: 395 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 215mg cholesterol, 1396mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as SUMMER STUFFED TOMATOES WITH CHORIZO AND CORNBREAD in Country Woman August/September 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.