Vine-ripened tomatoes filled with sausage and corn bread taste out of this world. They’re terrific as a first course or partnered with grilled meat or shrimp. —Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Featured In: 48 Ways to Cook Fresh, Juicy Tomatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 ounces uncooked chorizo or bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet orange or red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk.
- Place oil in an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; heat skillet in a 450° oven for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, stir egg mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Carefully swirl the oil in the skillet to coat the sides and bottom of pan; add batter. Bake at 450° for 12-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Place corn bread into a food processor; cover and process until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- Cut a 1/4-in. slice off the top of each tomato; with a spoon or melon baller, hollow out each tomato, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Discard pulp. Sprinkle salt into each tomato; place upside down on paper towel for 10 minutes to drain.
- Crumble chorizo into a large skillet; add onion and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until meat is fully cooked; drain. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn bread crumbs, chorizo mixture, cilantro and cumin; stir in eggs. Place tomatoes in an greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon corn bread mixture into each tomato, mounding in the center.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops are golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Tomatoes with Chorizo and Corn Bread in Country Woman August/September 2012, p36