Stuffed Sweet Peppers Recipe
- 3 medium sweet red peppers
- 2 medium sweet yellow peppers
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce, divided
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. Cut tops off peppers; chop tops and set aside. Discard stems and seeds; set pepper cups aside. Set aside 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce; pour the remaining sauce into a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the sausage, rice, cheese, onion, tomato, parsley, olives, garlic powder, salt, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes and reserved chopped peppers and spaghetti sauce. Spoon into peppers.
- 3. Transfer peppers to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until sausage is no longer pink and peppers are tender. Yield: 5 servings.
1 each: 292 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1182mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Reviews for Stuffed Sweet Peppers
"Excellent!!! Made exactly as was written and was so happy with the outcome. Family gobbled them up. Will be making again!!!"
"This was the first time I ever tried to make stuffed peppers in a slow cooker and they were great! We are not Feta cheese fans, so I substituted 1/2 cup mozzarella and added 3 tablespoons of Parmesan. I left out the olives. I used two cups of cooked brown rice instead of the instant rice. It's a keeper! Thanks!"
"These are wonderful!"
"LOVE, easy, FAMILY & COMPANY APPROVAL!!"
"This was a truly amazing stuffed pepper. Added a bit more sausage and used raisins intead of chopped tomato's. OUTSTANDING..!! This recipe reminded me of a pepper I had in Sorrento Italy and tasted better."
"I haven't made this recipe yet but have a question: Do the peppers cook in the spaghetti sauce that has been placed in the 5 qt slow cooker? I've never made stuffed peppers before."
"thank you tinaguerr. I too noticed the 5 & 3 quart difference. I will use the 5 quart as you suggested. Recipe sounds great."
"made with regular Italian sausage and my own homemade sauce - it was a great hit with my husband and son..will keep this in mind for a great summer supper."
"I use mostly the same ingredients in my own stuffed pepper but I do have a question that no one seems to have noticed. First you say to put the remaining spaghetti sauce in a 5 quart slow cooker then you say to put the peppers into a 3 quart slow cooker. Well, is it a 5 or a 3 and why put the sauce in one and peppers in another. I'm sure it is supposed to be 5 and 5 not 5 and 3."
"I've made this dish numerous times since it was first published over 10 years ago and it is always a hit. It works well for large gatherings by increasing the quantities as required. I once did this for a sit-down dinner for 14 people with 3 large slow cookers. I find that the mix can more than fill the 5-6 peppers so keep that in mind when putting this together."
"This is a very good recipe. I like fresh ingredients rather than pre-made so I used my own sauce and used fresh rather than powdered garlic. The feta is a nice twist. I also used regular sweet Italian sausage, not the turkey variety."