- 3 medium sweet red peppers
- 2 medium sweet yellow peppers
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce, divided
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta or blue cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cut tops off peppers; chop tops and set aside. Discard stems and seeds; set pepper cups aside. Reserve 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce; pour the remaining sauce into a slow cooker. Combine the sausage, rice, cheese, onion, tomato, parsley, olives, garlic powder, salt, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and reserved chopped peppers and spaghetti sauce. Spoon into pepper cups; place in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until peppers are tender. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forStuffed Sweet Peppers
"Excellent!!! Made exactly as was written and was so happy with the outcome. Family gobbled them up. Will be making again!!!"
"This was the first time I ever tried to make stuffed peppers in a slow cooker and they were great! We are not Feta cheese fans, so I substituted 1/2 cup mozzarella and added 3 tablespoons of Parmesan. I left out the olives. I used two cups of cooked brown rice instead of the instant rice. It's a keeper! Thanks!"
"These are wonderful!"
"LOVE, easy, FAMILY & COMPANY APPROVAL!!"
"This was a truly amazing stuffed pepper. Added a bit more sausage and used raisins intead of chopped tomato's. OUTSTANDING..!! This recipe reminded me of a pepper I had in Sorrento Italy and tasted better."
"I haven't made this recipe yet but have a question: Do the peppers cook in the spaghetti sauce that has been placed in the 5 qt slow cooker? I've never made stuffed peppers before."
"thank you tinaguerr. I too noticed the 5 & 3 quart difference. I will use the 5 quart as you suggested. Recipe sounds great."
"made with regular Italian sausage and my own homemade sauce - it was a great hit with my husband and son..will keep this in mind for a great summer supper."
"I use mostly the same ingredients in my own stuffed pepper but I do have a question that no one seems to have noticed. First you say to put the remaining spaghetti sauce in a 5 quart slow cooker then you say to put the peppers into a 3 quart slow cooker. Well, is it a 5 or a 3 and why put the sauce in one and peppers in another. I'm sure it is supposed to be 5 and 5 not 5 and 3."
"I've made this dish numerous times since it was first published over 10 years ago and it is always a hit. It works well for large gatherings by increasing the quantities as required. I once did this for a sit-down dinner for 14 people with 3 large slow cookers. I find that the mix can more than fill the 5-6 peppers so keep that in mind when putting this together."