Stuffed Sweet Onions
Looking for an impressive addition to your Easter menu? Consider this eye-fetching idea from Rye, Colorado's Jeanne Allen. A filling of savory ham and golden bread crumbs makes these onions a decadent accompaniment to many entrees.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 3 quarts water
- 4 medium sweet onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fully cooked lean ham
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add onions; cover and boil for 9-11 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool for 5 minutes. Cut a thin slice off the top of each onion; carefully hollow out, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Chop removed onion.
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the chopped onion, green onion and parsley in 4 teaspoons butter for 3 minutes. Add the ham, salt, celery seed, pepper and garlic powder; cook until onions are tender and ham is lightly browned. Stir in 1/4 cup bread crumbs; heat through. Stuff into onion shells.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with remaining bread crumbs. Sprinkle over stuffing. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned and onions are heated through.