Stuffed Sourdough Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 sourdough rolls
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, chilies, mushrooms, chili powder, olives and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- Cut 1/4 in. off the top of each roll; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom of roll, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Fill each roll with about 1/2 cup meat mixture. Replace bread tops.
- Individually wrap four sandwiches tightly in foil; freeze for up to 3 months. Place remaining sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen sandwiches: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place foil-wrapped sandwiches on baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 336 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 811mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Feb 13, 2016
How much meat mixture is a serving? I'd like to divide the mixture into four equal packets.
May 7, 2015
Very tasty, and I love that you can freeze some for later!
Oct 1, 2012
These were delicious. I made them exactly as written except I left out the mushrooms.
Sep 5, 2011
Couldn't find any sourdough hoagie rolls not already cut. So we used the cut ones instead. Super easy to make. I thought it would be spicy but it wasn't. I like spice, but my boyfriend can't handle too much. He really like it. He said he could eat the meat mixture even without the bread.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.