Stuffed Roast Turkey
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 40 min. Bake: 4-1/2 hours
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 pounds day-old white bread, cubed and toasted
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Remove giblets from turkey. In a saucepan, bring water, giblets and neck to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Remove giblets with a slotted spoon; dice. Set aside 3 cups cooking liquid. In a bowl, combine egg substitute, bread crumbs, onions, celery, giblets, poultry seasoning, salt, sage and pepper. Add reserved cooking liquid; mix well. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with about 8 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with butter; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered, at 325° for 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing, basting every 30 minutes (cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly). Bake additional stuffing for 35-40 minutes.
- For gravy, dissolve bouillon in water. In a saucepan, whisk flour and 1/4 cup pan drippings until smooth. Gradually add bouillon mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with turkey and stuffing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 677 calories, 28g fat (9g saturated fat), 227mg cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 70g protein.
Nov 11, 2012
what do you do with the diced giblets?
Dec 2, 2010
My family loveesit, and I have a picky family too. thanks.
Nov 26, 2008
This recipe is the best traditional recipe I have found! The turkey always comes out perfect and everyone raves about the stuffing. The time and love that goes into the preparation of this recipe is well worth it!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.