- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 slices dry bread, cut into small cubes
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- For croutons, melt butter in small skillet; brown bread cubes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, boil potatoes in water to cover until tender. Cool; rice potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Stir in eggs; beat until mixture holds it shape.
- With lightly floured hands, shape about 2 tablespoons dough into a ball, placing a few croutons in center of each ball. Repeat with remaining dough and croutons. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Drop dumplings into boiling salted water (2 teaspoons salt to 1 quart water). Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain. Melt butter in a small skillet; cook and stir the bread crumbs until lightly browned. Sprinkle over dumplings. Yield: 15 dumplings.
Reviews forStuffed Potato Dumplings
"Hi foodismylife...ricing potatoes means to use a very handy kitchen tool called a ricer. See cooking.com for RSVP International Ricer...it's the best on the market."
"By ricing the potatoes do you mean we have stuff them with rice?"