Stuffed Pork Loin with Currant Sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Eggland's Best egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dried currants
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place walnuts in a food processor; cover and process until ground. Set aside.
- 2. Cook sausage, apple and garlic over medium heat in a large skillet until meat is no longer pink. Drain; cool slightly. Stir in ground walnuts, egg, parsley, salt and pepper.
- 3. Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the roast to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open roast so it lies flat. Starting at the center, split each half of roast horizontally to within 1/2 in. of edge. Open halves so roast lies flat. Cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Remove plastic.
- 4. Brush roast with apple butter; spoon sausage mixture over the top. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie with kitchen string at 2-in. intervals. Place on a rack in a shallow baking pan.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 145°. Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing. In a small saucepan, heat the sauce ingredients until smooth. Serve with roast.
1 each: 351 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Dec 27, 2011
I served this roast for Christmas dinner and it was fantastic! I substituted pecans for the walnuts; otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. The current sauce is delicious!
Dec 26, 2011
This took a some work to prepare but was well worth it. It was a big hit at my Christmas Eve dinner.
Aug 23, 2011
We didn't have currant jelly and used cranberry sauce to replace currant sauce. Very delicious!
Jan 8, 2011
This is easy, and a perfect recipe to serve guests because it looks just like the photo.