For years, I used this recipe to make pizza meat loaf, which was absolutely killer. I decided to try it as burgers for a party, and they were a smashing success. Everyone left with the recipe.
Recommended: Our All-Time Best Pizzas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 cup pizza sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped turkey pepperoni
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 16 patties. Layer 1 tablespoon pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese onto the center of each of eight patties. Top with remaining patties and press edges firmly to seal.
- On a greased grill rack, grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with remaining pizza sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Pizza Burgers in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2015, p140