- 2 pounds ground beef
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until peppers are tender, about 30 minutes. Add cooked rice; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes longer. If desired, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forStuffed Pepper Soup
"We loved this soup! I made only 1/2 of the recipe to make sure that it would be one that I truly like. Like others, I added the white rice to each bowl first, then topped it with the soup and mixed it in. I wanted to avoid the common complaint that the rice expanded and got gummy as it sat in the refrigerator. The only change I would make is add more green pepper and reduce the amount of fluid. I cooked this on the stove for a couple of hours, adding fluid as needed. I used beef broth and a bit of water, and only 1 beef bouillon cube."
"So easy....so good!!!"
"Tasty, but way too sweet. Cut the brown sugar by at least half."
"This soup is a Christmas Eve tradition in my family! I use a 32 oz. carton of beef broth instead of boullion & water, and a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce & diced tomatoes (since hubby doesn't like tomato chunks). I also use instant brown rice & add it during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Hearty & delicious!"
"Absolutely the best soup recipe, a definite keeper."
"This soup is awesome. My husband raves about it, and we especially enjoy it with corn chips."
"This "classic comeback" was republished in the Sept/Oct 2017 issue, where I saw it for the first time. I just happened to have made stuffed green peppers the day before, had two leftover, so I combined this recipe with my leftovers, and it was terrific. Now, I may just make the soup and skip the stuffed green pepper altogether. Wonderful."
"Very good. Hardy and quicksand essy. I’ll use it again. Five stars."