Stuffed Iceberg Salad
Looking for a refreshing side salad to really dress up a summer meal? Try this iceberg lettuce stuffed with ham salad from Della Biddiscombe of Lewiston, Idaho. "It's hearty enough to serve as a light lunch on a hot day," she notes, "and it can be made ahead for added convenience."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup julienned sliced deli ham
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 1/4 cup salad dressing of your choice
- Remove and discard core from lettuce. Place lettuce core side down and cut in half with a plastic lettuce knife from top to bottom (save one half for another use). With knife, remove enough leaves from the center of the cut side of lettuce to create a 2-in. circle, about 1-1/4 in. deep.
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise and curry powder. Stir in the cheese, ham, celery, parsley and pimientos. Spoon into center of lettuce. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes or until serving. Cut in half, forming two wedges. Serve with salad dressing.
Originally published as Stuffed Lettuce in Country Woman July/August 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.