- 6 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium green peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup instant rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine tomatoes, onion, celery, tomato sauce, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, cut tops off of green peppers and remove seeds; set aside. In a bowl, combine ground beef, rice, basil and remaining salt and pepper; mix well. Fill peppers with beef mixture. Carefully place peppers in tomato sauce. Spoon some sauce over tops of peppers. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until beef is cooked and peppers are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forStuffed Green Pepper
"LOVED this..so good and easy."
"Loved this recipe..so good!"
"I have made these Stuffed Green Peppers a number of times. It is easy to make and my family loves them. I always make a few extra to put in my lunch."
"This was easy to make and I used my home-grown tomatoes, peppers and onions (YUM), but it doesn't compare to my mother's stuffed peppers! I would make these again, though."