Stuffed Garden Tomatoes
These stuffed tomatoes make delicious use of vegetables straight from the garden. As a side dish, they're a mouthwatering complement to any meal.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 medium fresh tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 8 radishes, coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut a thin slice from top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/2-in.- thick shell, scoop out pulp and discard. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Saute the carrot, radishes, green onions, cucumber, peas, parsley, oregano, garlic and salt until the vegetables are tender.
- Stuff tomatoes and place in a greased shallow baking dish. In a small skillet, melt remaining butter; stir in the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and sugar. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 236 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Garden Tomatoes in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.