Stuffed French Toast with Maple Berry Sauce
This mild-flavored skillet dish is prepared differently than traditional French toast, making this a deliciously special breakfast.—Nancee Melin, Tucson, Arizona
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes4 servings (1-1/3 cups sauce)
- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat spreadable strawberry cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 cups frozen unsweetened mixed berries
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, orange zest and cinnamon until blended; stir in almonds. Cut a pocket in the side of each slice of bread; fill with 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg substitute, milk and vanilla. Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture. Cook on a greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water and syrup until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in berries; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Serve with French toast.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts2 slices French toast with 1/3 cup sauce: 439 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 561mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Move Over Monte Cristo in Breakfast & Brunch 2014 Bookazine