Stuffed French Toast with Berry Sauce
As the oldest of seven children growing up on a farm, if I wasn't milking the cows, I was making the meals. My love for cooking has continued through the years.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes4-6 servings (1-1/2 cups syrup)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices French bread (1 in. thick)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, orange peel and cinnamon until smooth; set aside. In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, milk and vanilla. Cut a pocket in the crust of each slice of bread. Stuff each pocket with 1-2 tablespoons filling. Dip bread in egg mixture on both sides. Fry on a greased hot griddle for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. For syrup, combine water, maple syrup, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes to thicken. Reduce heat; add blueberries and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until berries are tender. Serve over French toast.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 498 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 171mg cholesterol, 486mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed French Toast with Berry Sauce in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook