Stuffed French Bread
If you need a hearty appetizer, look no further than this savory stuffed bread. No dipping sauce is required for these cheesy slices.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound, about 20 inches) unsliced French bread
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut the top third off the loaf of bread; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Set loaf aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and oregano. Stir in the sausage mixture.
- Line the bottom bread shell with mozzarella slices; top with sausage mixture. Replace bread top; wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 226 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.