Stuffed Flank Steak with Mushroom Sherry Cream
The flavor of this stuffed flank steak is just fabulous. It looks impressive, but is actually easy to do.—Anthony Dolby, Howland, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce)
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 3/4 pound whole fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and julienned
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Split steak horizontally from a long side to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Turn steak so that a long side is facing you; open steak so it lies flat. Cover with plastic wrap and flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Remove plastic.
- Spread cheese over steak to within 1/2 in. of edges. Layer with pesto, 1-3/4 cups mushrooms, spinach, red peppers, pepper and salt. Roll up jelly-roll style, rolling steak away from you; tie with kitchen string at 1-1/2-in. intervals. Rub with 1 tablespoon oil.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, brown steak on all sides. Bake in the skillet at 375° for 40-50 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Remove from the pan; cover and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute shallot and remaining mushrooms in remaining oil until tender. Add broth and sherry to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Add cream and bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Serve with sliced beef.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 489 calories, 36g fat (18g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Flank Steak with a mushroom-sherry cream sauce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011