This dip is popular with family and friends, especially when we can feature our homegrown vegetables. Serving it in eggplant shells makes for a fun presentation.—Marcia Marcoux, Charlton, Massachusetts
Recommended: 34 BBQ Side Dishes You Can Throw on the Grill
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pita breads, cut into wedges
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Remove pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Brush inside of shell with lemon juice; set aside.
- Place eggplant pulp in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the green pepper, celery, onion and carrot in oil for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, cilantro, vinegar, garlic, salt, basil, cayenne and eggplant pulp. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon dip into eggplant shells. Serve with pita wedges. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Stuffed Eggplant Dip in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p157