Stuffed Date Drops
In my recipe collection, these chewy drops cookies with date-nut centers are filed under "E" for "extra-special".
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 12 pecans or walnut halves
- 24 pitted whole dates
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- BROWN BUTTER FROSTING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons milk
- Cut pecan or walnut halves lengthwise; stuff into dates and set aside. In a bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in egg yolk. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir in stuffed dates.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls with one date per cookie, onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- In a saucepan, cook butter over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Gradually stir in sugar, vanilla and milk. Frost cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 189 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Stuffed Date Drops in Country Woman Christmas 1998