Stuffed Crown Roast of Pork
I first made this recipe on Christmas...the oohs and aahs from my family were a delight! In addition to the holidays, I sometimes make a crown roast for Sunday dinner - it reminds me of my childhood, when Sunday dinners were always special. People would often stop by in the afternoon hoping to be asked to stay for a meal since Mom was such a good cook.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 crown roast of pork (about 8 pounds)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced peeled apple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- Spiced crab apples, optional
- Tie roast and place on a rack in a large roasting pan. Cover the bone ends with foil. Insert met thermometer. Roast at 350° for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the pork and sausage until browned; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add apple and celery; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the cooked pork and sausage, crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper and sage; mix well.
- Remove roast from oven. Carefully press a double layer of foil down through open center of roast to form a base for stuffing. Spoon stuffing lightly into crown. Return to oven and bake for 1 hour more or until thermometer reads 160°. Transfer roast to serving platter. Garnish with spiced crab apples if desired. Cut between ribs to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 279 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Crown Roast of Pork in Country Extra November 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.