- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar, optional
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a slow cooker; add cabbage, green pepper and rice.
- In a bowl, combine the water and tomato paste. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour over beef mixture; mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until rice and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forStuffed Cabbage Casserole
"Very easy to make and quite tasty! Great for the cooler weather coming our way. Much easier than hand-rolling cabbages!"
"This recipe does taste like stuffed cabbage. My family enjoyed it. I had 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef thawed, so I ended up using more ground beef than the recipe called for. Since I used brown rice instead of instant rice, I did increase the water; however, I should have increased it more than I did. I do think this is a very good recipe and I like that it can be done in a crock pot. I will definitely be making this again."
"I loved this recipe. The cabbage was nice and tender, and it really did taste like stuffed cabbage. It's also very nutritious if you use brown rice instead of instant white rice. Be sure to at least double the water if you do this, because when I checked it at around 4 hours I found some burning at the edges."
"This recipe was outstanding! Reminded me of my mother's stuffed cabbage rolls I would beg her to make as a child. Very easy. I did make a double recipe and since the whole thing did not fit in my crockpot, I cooked the remains (filled a 9 x 13 pan) in the oven covered for roughly an hour at 350. Turned out just as good :)"
"Didn't turn out well for me undoubtedly because my slow cooker doesn't know the meaning of "low." In appearance looked like gruel in prisnor-of-war movies, BUT the flavor was very good. So I turned it into soup today adding broth, veggie juice, diced carrots, celery, cabbage. The soup was great and I have enough "soup base" for another batch."
"Next time I make it, I'll add 3/4 cup of rice instead of 1/2 cup. Also I'll make it with while wine for the water and I will add some ground pork to the recipe."
"I made this for dinner last night and it was a winner. it goes in my recipe file to make again. It sure cuts down on the time in the old method. Great. HO"
"I have prepared this casserole many times and it is delicious!!"