Stuffed Breakfast Loaf
My favorite hobby for the past 38 years has been collecting cookbooks. Presently I have close to 500! I found this recipe in one of my favorite books and it's been part of our holiday breakfast tradition for years.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 unsliced round French or sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 4 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 4 ounces Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup each shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese
- Cut bread in half horizontally; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 3/4-in. shell. Save removed bread for another use.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper and mushrooms until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Remove mixture and set aside; drain all but one tablespoon of drippings. Add eggs; cook and stir gently until set. Stir in sausage mixture; remove from the heat.
- Place bread bottom on a large sheet of foil. Combine cheeses; sprinkle half in the bread bottom, Spoon in egg mixture and cover with remaining cheese. Replace bread top and wrap tightly with foil. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until filling is heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 256 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 181mg cholesterol, 430mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Breakfast Loaf in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.