Stuffed Bread Appetizers Recipe
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 loaf (26 inches) French bread, halved lengthwise
- Dried parsley flakes
- 4 dill pickle spears
- 4 slices deli ham
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- 2. Hollow out top and bottom of bread, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread thin layer of mayonnaise over bread; sprinkle with parsley. Fill each half with cheese mixture. Wrap pickle spears in ham; place lengthwise over cheese mixture on bottom half of loaf. Replace top; press together to seal.
- 3. Wrap in foil; refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, cut into 1-in. slices. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Stuffed Bread Appetizers
"Our New Years Eve Winner. Its Super easy to put together. Perfect make ahead for the party. Ingredients are perfect but are completely adaptable. turkey would make a great choice. Don't skimp on the cheese mixture and be sure to really gut the bread so you can really pack it in. . Love the ham and pickle wrap . That just seals the deal and completes this tasty pinwheel slices. . I used Pimentos instead of the red pepper. And I had no water chestnuts. But I think they would add a nice crunch to mix. Impress your guests with this very tasty Appetizer.JanieTaste of Home Volunteer Field Editor *"
"Loved this recipe. I used a soft french bread, cut it the same way. I used chipped ham from our deli and just laid hamburger drained dill pickle chips on top before I closed it up. I didn't use the water chestnuts, as I didn't have any. Didn't take long for us to scarf this one up!!! You could really add anything you like."
"I added banana peppers and it was well enjoyed by the family!"
"I made this and liked the idea of a do ahead. I did make a few changes. used 2 packages of onion chive cream cheese spread, black olices, scallions"
"It is a good recipe with modifications and would be great for a party. The extra 3 oz. besides the 8 oz. of cream cheese seemed to be too much. Also, needs more veggies - I added extra celery, red onion, pecans and craisins. Did not add water chestnuts however but might next time. Don't use baguette as bread as it's too chewy - bread will tear apart trying to take a bite. Do get soft French bread. Definitely need more ham. I used Claussen pickles, quartered, with ham wrapped around each spear - use 3 slices of deli ham for each spear."
"This is a winner. I added some chopped black olives and pimentos and that worked fine. I also left the ham off some of it to offer it to some vegetarian friends."
"May way 5 stars. We don't any of the raw bell pepper or celery so I added Ortrga, shredded carrots and also pimientos (I know that they are roasted red peppers) 2 8oz. of CC and sharp cheddar. a Good crunchy pickles and good cut of Ham"
"I made this recipe for a tea party and used a soft baguette. I wrapped it up the night before and put it in the refrigerator and sliced it up right before serving. It was a hit. The ladies loved it. My friend added some shredded carrots to it also and served it at a birthday party for kids and adults and they all loved it. Make sure you use really good crunchy pickles."