Stuffed Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs (about 3 slices)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 beef tenderloin (about 3 pounds), trimmed
- 4 slices bacon
- 1. In a small skillet, melt butter over low heat. Saute onion, celery and mushrooms until onion is soft and transparent. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine bread crumbs, salt, pepper, basil and parsley. Add onion mixture and mix well. Make a lengthwise cut 3/4 of the way through the tenderloin. Lightly place stuffing in the pocket; close with toothpicks. Place bacon strips diagonally across the top, covering the picks and pocket. Place meat, bacon side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer into meat, not stuffing. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until meat reaches desired degree of doneness; 140° for rare, 160° for medium and 170° for well-done. (Meat will need to bake approximately 1 hour for medium.) Remove from oven; let stand for 15 minutes. Remove toothpicks and slice. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
"I cannot wait to make this! I'll be serving mine with Aligot (French-style mashed potatoes). Do you take the toothpicks out while you are carving? As the bacon is covering the roast, I can only imagine it is up to the carver to remember that there are toothpicks and to remove them"
"I don't usually write reviews but I have just served this to my wife of 13 years and her first words were .... "this is orgasmic!!!" did it with a 1lb fillet cooked for 25 mins and rested for 10 mins. It was the best meal I have had for bloody ages !!!! Served with mange tout and potato dauphinouis. Bloody awesome"