Stuffed Artichokes Recipe
When I was child, my mother often made these meat loaf-stuffed artichokes. They're a nice change from traditional stuffed peppers. - Jean Castriota, York, Pennsylvania
- 2 medium artichokes
- Lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. Rinse artichokes well; trim stem. Cut 1 in. off the top. Snip the tip of each leaf with a kitchen shears. Brush cut edges with lemon juice. Spread artichoke open. Using a small knife, carefully cut around center choke. Scoop out and discard the fuzzy center.
- 2. In a saucepan, place artichokes in a steam basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover; steam for 20-25 minutes or until crisp-tender. Invert on a paper towel to drain.
- 3. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, ketchup, bread crumbs, basil, parsley and garlic. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Stuff meat mixture into center of artichokes and between leaves. Place in an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish. Combine tomato sauce and water; pour over top.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 383 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 773mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 32g protein.
Reviews for Stuffed Artichokes
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC