- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds) French bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and 1 teaspoon vanilla until fluffy. Stir in nuts; set aside. Cut bread into 1-1/2-in. slices; cut a pocket in the top of each slice. Fill each pocket with about 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture. In another bowl, beat eggs, cream, nutmeg and remaining vanilla. Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture, being careful not to squeeze out the filling. Cook on a lightly greased griddle until golden brown on both sides. Place on an ungreased baking sheet; bake at 300° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, combine preserves and orange juice in a small saucepan; heat through. Drizzle over hot French toast. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forStuffed Apricot French Toast
"I've been making this for years, I believe I got the recipe from one of the toh holiday books. Recipe called for 8 oz. crushed pineapple in the filling. WONDERFUL !!!!!"
"This is a wonderful dish for a special breakfast or brunch."
"I found this recipe many years ago in the magazine. I was thrilled to find it here so that I can share it with my friends. My family loves this recipe. I use to serve it on Christmas. I use chopped pecans."