Stuffed Apples with Honey Creme Fraiche
This is a yummy apple treat that I've served for breakfast as well as dessert. Lemon, cherries and honey add awesome flavor.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 medium apples
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a small bowl, combine the cherries, 1/4 cup honey, ginger and lemon peel; set aside.
- Core apples, leaving bottoms intact. Peel top half of each apple; place apples in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Fill with cherry mixture; dot with butter. Combine the apple juice, cinnamon and remaining honey; pour over apples. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until tender, basting occasionally with pan juices.
- In a small bowl, beat the creme fraiche, cream and honey until soft peaks form. Serve with warm apples.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed apple: 480 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Ginger & Cherry-Stuffed Baked Apples with Honey Creme Fraiche in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.