Stromboli Ladder Loaf
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + standing
Makes1 loaf (2 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- In bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Spread pizza sauce in a 3-in.-wide strip lengthwise down the center of dough to within 2 in. of ends. Arrange pepperoni over sauce; sprinkle with cheeses. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal.
- Beat egg white and water; brush over dough. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 259 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 554mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 28, 2010
This dough was nice and soft, great texture. Te only thing I might do different the next time is make two loafs, this makes a large loaf, just a little two much bread to filling, or maybe spread filling all over dough and roll up like pizza roll loaf.
Jan 8, 2008
could use frozen dough or a loaf of italian bread with the center cut out