Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- butter, softened
- 1 loaf French bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into rings
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, brown beef with onion. Drain. Season with the garlic powder, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from the heat and stir in mushrooms and sour cream; set aside.
- Butter the cut surface of the bread. Place it with the buttered side up on a baking sheet; broil until light golden brown.
- Reset oven to 375°. Spread bread with ground beef mixture. Top with the tomatoes, pepper rings and cheese. Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 329 calories, 10g fat (0 saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 562mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 vegetable.
Feb 20, 2014
Very Good might try a different cheese on it next time.
Dec 29, 2011
We enjoy this one and have made it more than once. Easy to make and good flavor.
Jul 27, 2011
Very yummy and great way to use tomatoes and green peppers out of the garden. It's way better with "real" tomatoes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.