For a volunteer firefighters' lunch, Corrine Lingberg of Beresford, South Dakota fixed these rich sandwiches that cost a mere 44 cents each. "After just one taste, they couldn't get enough of them," she recalls. "They're great with deviled eggs and baked beans."
Recommended: Throw a 2016 Emmy Party
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2/3 cup condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 18 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the mushroom soup, mayonnaise, celery and cheese soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns. Yield: 18 servings.
Originally published as Stroganoff In A Bun in Quick Cooking November/December 2002, p51