Strip Steaks with Mango Salsa
Carrots add beautiful color and texture to this very flavorful mango salsa, which is served over well-seasoned New York strips. This tasty dish, created by our Test Kitchen, will make you star of the cookout!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped peeled mango
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 5 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 4 boneless beef top loin steaks (8 ounces each)
- Place 1/2 in. of water in a small saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the mango, avocado, red pepper, lime juice, cilantro, salt, cumin and carrots. Refrigerate until serving.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over both sides of steaks. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve with mango salsa.
Editor's NoteTop loin steak may be labeled as strip steak, Kansas City steak, New York strip steak, ambassador steak or boneless club steak in your region.
Originally published as Grilled Steaks with Papaya-Carrot Salsa in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.