String Bean Chicken Skillet
I started to prepare a chicken stir-fry one day and discovered I was out of frozen snow peas. So I tossed in green beans instead with a few leftover wax beans for color. I've been making the recipe this way ever since.—Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh wax beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Hot cooked rice
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes; drain and set aside. Meanwhile, flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; cut into 1/2-in. strips. In a large skillet, stir-fry chicken in oil for 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and soy sauce until smooth. Drain the pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Stir the juice into the soy sauce mixture; set aside.
- In the same skillet, stir-fry red pepper and onion for 5 minutes. Add the chicken, beans, pineapple, salt and ginger. Gradually stir in the soy sauce mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.