String Bean Chicken Skillet
I started to prepare a chicken stir-fry one day and discovered I was out of frozen snow peas. So I tossed in green beans instead with a few leftover wax beans for color. I've been making the recipe this way ever since.—Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh wax beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Hot cooked rice
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes; drain and set aside. Meanwhile, flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; cut into 1/2-in. strips. In a large skillet, stir-fry chicken in oil for 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and soy sauce until smooth. Drain the pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Stir the juice into the soy sauce mixture; set aside.
- In the same skillet, stir-fry red pepper and onion for 5 minutes. Add the chicken, beans, pineapple, salt and ginger. Gradually stir in the soy sauce mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 133 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 573mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as String Bean Chicken Skillet in Taste of Home June/July 2002