- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 medium butternut squash (4 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 4 large eggs
- Whipped cream and additional cinnnamon, optional
- In a bowl, combine flour and sugars; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans; set aside.
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Transfer to a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars, cornstarch and seasonings. Gradually beat in 4 cups squash, milk and eggs until smooth (save any remaining squash for another use). Pour over crust. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Garnish with whipped cream and additional cinnamon if desired. Yield: 15-18 servings.
Reviews forStreusel Squash Dessert
"One can of evap milk like dome77 said; add topping during last 15-20 minutes. I doubled the topping and I'm glad I did."
"I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out beautifully! Cuts and presents nicely.My whole family enjoyed it!"