Streusel Fruit Bread
This recipe has been handed down through the years in my family. I scaled it down and the result is a delightful bread chock-full of dried fruits and nuts. —Robert Logan, Clayton, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes1 mini loaf (6 slices)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; set aside. In another bowl, beat the egg, banana, oil, corn syrup and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the pecans, cranberries and apricots.
- Pour into a 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. For topping, combine brown sugar and flour in a small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 265 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Fruit, Nut Bread with Strudel Topping in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007