- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- Prepare, bake and cool cake according to package directions. Slice the top fourth off the cake; set aside. To make tunnel, use a sharp knife to carefully hollow out bottom of cake, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Tear removed cake into 1-in. cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in milk and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in extract and food coloring if desired. Stir in cake cubes and strawberries. Fold in 1 cup whipped topping. Spoon into tunnel; replace cake top. Spread remaining whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forStrawberry Tunnel Cake
"A 5 star rating from my family, but my option given was 4 stars. A definite keeper!"
"This cake was very good, but we found it a bit too rich for us, hence, 4 star rating. If you prefer really rich tasting food you'll love this one! Probably won't make again unless I make some adjustments."
"Have made this several times! Always a hit!"
"My family is always requesting this for special occasions! We love it!"
"Everyone LOVED this at the Ladies' Tea that I hosted. Even at Christmas, this went over well. It is light and tasty with just enough richness in the filling to please eveyone, especially my hubby."