Strawberry-Topped Eclair Heart
This original creation looks like it came straight from a gourmet bakery. It's impressive to serve and flavorful as well.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon butter. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water and remaining butter to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Trace an 8-in. heart on parchment paper; place on a baking sheet. Spread batter evenly over heart. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Fold whipped topping into chilled filling; spread over pastry. Arrange strawberries over filling. Refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, drizzle melted chocolate over berries.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 421 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 206mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Eclair of the Heart in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006