Strawberry-Topped Eclair Heart
This original creation looks like it came straight from a gourmet bakery. It's impressive to serve and flavorful as well.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon butter. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water and remaining butter to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Trace an 8-in. heart on parchment paper; place on a baking sheet. Spread batter evenly over heart. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Fold whipped topping into chilled filling; spread over pastry. Arrange strawberries over filling. Refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, drizzle melted chocolate over berries.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 421 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 206mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.