VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon butter. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water and remaining butter to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Trace an 8-in. heart on parchment paper; place on a baking sheet. Spread batter evenly over heart. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Fold whipped topping into chilled filling; spread over pastry. Arrange strawberries over filling. Refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, drizzle melted chocolate over berries. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry-Topped Eclair Heart in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p186