Strawberry Sunshine Cake Recipe
- 1 cup egg whites (about 7)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon each almond, lemon and vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- Additional strawberries
- 1. Let egg whites stand for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in water and extracts. Sift flour twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- 2. In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form; set aside. Fold into egg yolk mixture just until blended.
- 3. Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets; smooth the top. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- 4. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add ice water and stir. Place bowl in ice water for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Fold in strawberries and 1/2 cup whipped topping.
- 5. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Split horizontally into three layers; place bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of the gelatin mixture. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides with remaining whipped topping. Garnish with strawberries. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 slice: 193 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 114mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Strawberry Sunshine Cake
"Epic fail! cake sunk after cooling."
"This cake brings together one of my all time favorite combo of flavors: vanilla, lemon, and almond extract. Deliciously light and refreshing! I used a buttercream frosting instead of the whipped topping with the same combination of extracts added in."