For dessert, this dessert uses purchased sponge cake. So there's no need for baking. To showcase its pretty strawberry-red layer, I dish it up in clear dessert glasses or dishes like a trifle.—Ruth Taylor, Greeneville, Tennessee
Recommended: 42 Easy Desserts That Keep Life Simple and Sweet
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 carton (13-1/2 ounces) strawberry glaze
- 9 individual cream-filled sponge cakes
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries and glaze; set aside. Slice cakes in half lengthwise; place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and milk until smooth; fold in the whipped topping. Spread over cakes. Spoon strawberry mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Spoon into individual serving dishes. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Sponge Cake in Quick Cooking March/April 1998, p7