"This make-ahead slush is really refreshing on hot summer days," writes Patricia Schroedl of Jefferson, Wisconsin. "Pour lemon-lime soda over scoops of the strawberry blend for a fast fruity treat that's so thick you'll have to eat it with a spoon."
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Fresh Strawberries
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fat-free vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 package (.3 ounces) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 liters diet lemon-lime soda, chilled
- Additional fresh strawberries, optional
- In a large bowl, mash strawberries; add ice cream. In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in water; stir in lemon juice. Add to the strawberry mixture; mix well. Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. freezer container; cover and freeze overnight. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Spoon into glasses; add soda. Garnish with strawberries if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Slush in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p20