Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe
There is nothing as wonderful as this dessert in the summer time. The shortcake is fluffy and delicious. The strawberries are very sweet and will tastes wonderful.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, sour cream, confectioners' sugar and extract. In another bowl, mash 1/2 cup strawberries; stir into yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. Combine the flours, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- 3. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Split shortcakes horizontally in half. Spread yogurt mixture over cake bottoms; top with remaining strawberries and cake tops. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 213 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcakes
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC