Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Whipped cream
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 231 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
May 30, 2018
Ridiculous! This was so so delicious! We will make again and again and again. I made it exactly as the recipe stated.
Apr 23, 2018
Really liked this recipe. Delicious! Hubby loved it too!
Apr 15, 2018
I made this as written. It was delicious. It was light and fluffy and not too sweet. Perfect with strawberries and whipped cream. I will definitely be making this again.
Dec 31, 2017
I decided to make this as a late Christmas present for my boyfriend and it looks like a biscuit and a few peoples reviews said something about it turning out as a biscuit....Is that what it's supposed to be like?
Jul 5, 2017
This looked really good and there wasn't anything wrong with it but it just wasn't what I was looking for.Unlike some other reviewers I don't care for the biscuit type shortcake and that is what this tastes like to me.Ine review thought it too sweet but I didn't think it was sweet enough.Will keep searching for a shortcake recipe
Jun 27, 2017
Perfect! Easy to make and great flavor (I added extra vanilla) Goes perfect with sweetened strawberries.
May 30, 2017
I used butter instead of shortening and it was perfect. Delicious, not too sweet for the strawberries. A much better option than a flaky biscuit! This will be my new go to all summer. Kids and grandparents loved it!
Jul 25, 2016
This was good but more like cake. I missed the taste and texture of the old fashioned biscuit shortcake. It was very good, though.
Jul 19, 2016
Good one to prepare
Jul 14, 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.