- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- Mash or slice the strawberries; place in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and set aside. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat egg and milk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fill eight greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan to cool on a wire rack. Just before serving, split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon berries and whipped cream between layers and over the top. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forStrawberry Shortcake Cups
"This was wonderful! Very light and fluffy. It reminds me of the strawberry shortcake they my grandma made me. I will definitely make this again!"
"I wouldn't call this a shortcake. It was more like a biscuit. Not what I want with my strawberries."
"This is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this. It will save time and money. AND satisfy my family, 3 with 1 recipe."
"This is awesome! I just substituted the whipped cream with ice cream to suit my taste better. Otherwise followed the recipe exactly."
"I've used this recipe for years, my mom's. It's a winner and always pleases family and friends."
"I would add fresh blueberries or some other fruit.I like to make my muffins from a mix so would use a blueberry muffin mix then follow the instructions to the end."
"Definitely five stars. I'm making it for our family 4th of July celebration. It's nostalgic and delicious."