Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Scant 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- Whisk flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine water and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Refrigerate, covered, until firm, 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, 15-18 minutes. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter, strawberries and milk until combined. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until blended. Spread over cookies; if desired, top with additional sliced strawberries.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie (calculated without additional strawberries): 223 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 16, 2017
It was very easy to make.. (first time baking homemade cookies). The frosting amount was way too much for the 24 cookies the recipe says.. I followed the directions to the tee but the frosting was a little thin, it was sliding right off the cookies. All in all it was good...
Jan 2, 2017
These don't have real shortbread flavor like I was looking for. The frosting does make a lot for the amount of cookies this recipe makes.
Mar 31, 2014
not as real shoirtbread cookie, but good and as previously stated, the strawberries weep if placed on cookies before serving.
Mar 30, 2014
Love strawberry shortcake and when I saw this recipe, I looked in the pantry and had everything to make them. The dough was too dry to work with needed to add more water but the cookies turned out okay. The amount of frosting the directions says to make is way too much for the number of cookies! I have enough frosting left to cover a two layer cake. Will not make again.
Mar 28, 2014
Cookies are basic sugar cookies. After frosting, do not put fresh strawberries on cookie until you are ready to serve. Strawberries will weep on top of the suger frosting. Otherwise good.
Apr 1, 2013
The frosting was great but the cookies did not take much like shortcake to me. My husband and I agreed that the icing was a 4.5 or 5 and the cookies were just a 3.