- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a mixing bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Cut into 9 servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forStrawberry Shortcake
"This looked really good and there wasn't anything wrong with it but it just wasn't what I was looking for.Unlike some other reviewers I don't care for the biscuit type shortcake and that is what this tastes like to me.Ine review thought it too sweet but I didn't think it was sweet enough.Will keep searching for a shortcake recipe"
"Perfect! easy to make and great flavor (I added extra vanilla) Goes perfect with sweetened strawberries."
"I used butter instead of shortening and it was perfect. Delicious, not too sweet for the strawberries. A much better option than a flaky biscuit! This will be my new go to all summer. Kids and grandparents loved it!"
"This was good but more like cake. I missed the taste and texture of the old fashioned biscuit shortcake. It was very good, though."
"Good one to prepare"
"I am not a big strawberry shortcake lover but i made this today for my husband for Father's Day since it is one of his favorite desserts! I made this exactly as recipe states and the cake is delicious. You do not get soggy cake by using shortening(as someone stated) and it isn't too sweet with 2/3 cup sugar. I don't understand why everyone messes with good recipes! Make it as is and make your own whipped cream(no can!!) and use fresh strawberries!"
"I didn't actually get to eat this, as I made it for my daughter to serve to her boyfriend's family. She reports that they all loved it and she brought home an empty pan. I substituted softened butter for the shortening."
"Very similar to the recipe I use, moist & good! I use butter. My husband could eat this strawberry shortcake every day!!"
"It's strawberry season! Put a lot in the freezer. They made this dessert perfect! I used butter crisco and it worked great! I made fresh whipped cream and it topped it off great!"