- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forStrawberry Shortcake
"I made this as written. It was delicious. It was light and fluffy and not too sweet. Perfect with strawberries and whipped cream. I will definitely be making this again."
"I decided to make this as a late Christmas present for my boyfriend and it looks like a biscuit and a few peoples reviews said something about it turning out as a biscuit....Is that what it's supposed to be like?"
"This looked really good and there wasn't anything wrong with it but it just wasn't what I was looking for.Unlike some other reviewers I don't care for the biscuit type shortcake and that is what this tastes like to me.Ine review thought it too sweet but I didn't think it was sweet enough.Will keep searching for a shortcake recipe"
"Perfect! easy to make and great flavor (I added extra vanilla) Goes perfect with sweetened strawberries."
"I used butter instead of shortening and it was perfect. Delicious, not too sweet for the strawberries. A much better option than a flaky biscuit! This will be my new go to all summer. Kids and grandparents loved it!"
"This was good but more like cake. I missed the taste and texture of the old fashioned biscuit shortcake. It was very good, though."
"Good one to prepare"
"I am not a big strawberry shortcake lover but i made this today for my husband for Father's Day since it is one of his favorite desserts! I made this exactly as recipe states and the cake is delicious. You do not get soggy cake by using shortening(as someone stated) and it isn't too sweet with 2/3 cup sugar. I don't understand why everyone messes with good recipes! Make it as is and make your own whipped cream(no can!!) and use fresh strawberries!"
"I didn't actually get to eat this, as I made it for my daughter to serve to her boyfriend's family. She reports that they all loved it and she brought home an empty pan. I substituted softened butter for the shortening."