Strawberry Schaum Torte
I've served this impressive dessert at baptisms and holidays and enjoy making it for our children and grandchildren when they come to visit.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups whipped cream
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the water, vinegar, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread evenly into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and do not open door; let crust dry in oven overnight.
- For filling, in a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in the strawberries, lemon juice and salt (mixture will thicken quickly). Fold in cream. Spread over crust. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 222 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Schaum Torte in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.