Strawberry Schaum Torte
I've served this impressive dessert at baptisms and holidays and enjoy making it for our children and grandchildren when they come to visit.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups whipped cream
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the water, vinegar, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread evenly into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and do not open door; let crust dry in oven overnight.
- For filling, in a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in the strawberries, lemon juice and salt (mixture will thicken quickly). Fold in cream. Spread over crust. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 222 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Strawberry Schaum Torte in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook