For a fun twist on a classic Italian dish, try this creamy, rich risotto infused with the summery flavors of strawberry and basil. —Bruce Newcomer, Fredericksburg, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 pint strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- Additional sliced strawberries and fresh basil for garnish, if desired
- Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add half of the strawberries and continue cooking until the strawberries loose some of their juices and color. Add rice and shallots; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. Stir in ½ cup of the broth and cook until the liquid is nearly absorbed. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly, and cook until each portion of broth mixture is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes). Stir in Parmesan cheese, lemon rind, salt, pepper, nutmeg, basil, and remaining strawberries. Cover and let rest a few minutes before serving, so that all the flavors can be absorbed together. Transfer to serving dish and decorate with strawberries and fresh basil, if desired.
Originally published as Strawberry Risotto in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.